Tuesday 25 March 2008

Goanna!

Yesterday I was out by the trampoline with Littletree when I heard an odd noise coming from the house. Well, I wrote it off as the sound of an avocado falling on the roof, but a minute later, the sound of breaking glass reached me.

I ran up to the house, only to find...

Mr Godzilla climbing all over my kitchen bench!

Naturally, the first thing I did was dive for the camera ;)

It crawled through my crockery shelf, sending cups and bowls flying, then up the side of the bench, knocked the compost bin over, tipped over a vase of fresh basil, and scampered over the kitchen table, knocking over a bowl of water onto my midwifery notes (thank goodness my computer wasn't in it's usual spot on the table).

By then Littletree had come to the door, and was standing in Godzilla's way just as it was preparing to bolt out to the front garden. There was this split second where Littletree and Godzilla were eyeing each other, it was almost like an electric communication passed between them.

Littletree started crying "No, no, no!" and the 1.5M Goanna dashed past her, stepping on her foot on the way out.

Poor girl, she went into shock, and started crying. But it was quite cute. She asked for Rescue Remedy, and kept saying "I'm fine, I'm fine. I'm not hurt, I'm okay." Littletree wanted to talk about the goanna for about half an hour, and insisted that we keep the doors shut from now on.

Then the cheeky bugger went around the back of the house, and came in the back door! At least I was there (still cleaning up the mess from it's first foray) and chased it out.

Today, I heard a scratching at the back door, that sounded just like Littletree's friend Kazan knocking. Only when I went to the door to let her in... it was Mr Godzilla! Seriously, the cheekiest goanna in history!

15 comments:

  1. Now you know how much Littletree wanted a new pet... he might have decided to adopt you all as his new family *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow, I would of been freaking out SO BAD! You guys don't have many dull moments, do you? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, we have plenty of dull moments. why I remember one, back in the winter of '97...

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. umm, yeah......were I come from we don't see lizards like that. I would peed my pants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That lizard would make some 8 year old boy a marvelous pet...


    L

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have died of heart failure right on the spot. I hope Littletree don't have trouble sleeping, I know I would. I can only imagine how she felt when that thing ran accross her foot!
    What is rescue remedy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have died of heart failure right on the spot. I hope Littletree don't have trouble sleeping, I know I would. I can only imagine how she felt when that thing ran accross her foot!
    What is rescue remedy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have died of heart failure right on the spot. I hope Littletree don't have trouble sleeping, I know I would. I can only imagine how she felt when that thing ran accross her foot!
    What is rescue remedy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that he came back and 'knocked' on the door!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would have passed out. Oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds a bit like the possums at our place, if they find the back door closed, they come around the front & get in through the cat flap.

    They've been known to come in the front, get to the kitchen, climb onto the bench & help themselves to the fruit bowl.

    Strangely my 8 year old has been asking if we can go see goanna's lately, I must remember to show him this post later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy Moly! What would you have done had it not left on it's own accord? Wild!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess if he wouldn't have left, I'd be googling "barbecue goanna recipe"

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW. We get them that big here but never in our HOUSES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW. We get them that big here but never in our HOUSES!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely words, witty banter and entertaining discussion :)